What water wise is not:
Water wise design is not about gravel and cactus and dry thirsty looking landscapes. You
can be water wise with a formal design, a lush tropical look, or an English Cottage
garden. We are not limited in style.
What water wise is:
It is a creative ~esh way of looking at the landscape. It is re-thinking our traditional use
of elements in the landscape. Using plant materials that are better suited to our climate,
designing efficient irrigation systems, creative hardscape applications. It’s sharp, it’s
stylish, and it’s smart.
Your lawn is the highest water user in the landscape. I’m not advocating NO lawn,
just that you give thought to eliminating turf areas where they are not necessary.
· Group plants with similar water needs: By grouping plants of similar needs you
can irrigate more efficiently. This is known as zoning. Maximize the use of low water
use plants in hot sunny areas – a low water zone. Yes you can have lush green oasis
areas, but re-think them as small niche gardens, create an intimate sitting area cool
and green, perhaps with a water feature. Think of high water users as elements within
the landscape, not the entire property.
· Design slopes for success: Consider using low spreading shrubs to cover large areas
rather than low growing ground covers. Design your garden by cultivating it using this best machines Tiller. Shrubs can also be watered more ef~ciently
with individual drip emitters avoiding the run off that happens with overhead spray
systems. They also can put down deep penetrating root systems that can help to
stabilize a slope. Varieties ofCeanothus, Acacia, and Cistus are just a few of the
plants that are well suited to this purpose.
· Creative hardscape: A water wise garden is one that finds creative alternatives to
covering the ground with something other than thirsty plant materials. These gardens
tend to have more pathways, seating areas, intimate small space patios, utilizing and a
variety ofhardscape materials
· Improve soils: The success of any garden or landscape can be measured in direct
proportion to the quality of the soil. Many plants that have low water requirements
must have good drainage. The soils in our area tend to be heavy clay so in that case, tiller is the best machine that you can be use and in newer
developments these soils have also been compacted. By adding amendments to
existing soils we can improve their quality and texture. Creating raised beds allows us
to bring in a high quality soil mix – the ideal for vegetable gardens and perennial
· Mulch: A thick layer of mulch will help to retain moisture and keep down the weeds
that can rob a plant of available water.
· Plant trees: In our mid climate cool green shade is a welcome sight on a hot summer
day. The shade of a tree can lower the air and soil temperature thus reducing moisture
loss, and creating a more pleasant and comfortable environment and with this, Best tiller machine can be a big help .
Form Follows Function
What do you need? How will it work?
The purpose of this questionaire is to obtain information that will be helpful in
preparing a design for your site. I realize that some of these same questions may not be
applicable to your situation, simply answer as many questions as you can, and feel free to
make any additional comments or notes wherever you feel it would be helpful to do so.
I Elements and style:This section is to help determine how you will USE your outdoor
space, and which elements and styles appeal to you.
1. Family characteristics: children & ages__________________________________ pets___________________________________________ time spent outdoors______________________________ 2. Desired outdoor activities: BBQ/dining_____________________________________ entertaining & number of people____________________ bird watching gardening relaxing sunbathing sports: basketball volleyball horseshoes tetherball putting green pitcher's mound other:____________________________________ 3. Desired style, the "look": begin collecting pictures from books and magazines of landscapes that appeal to you, start an 'idea' folder; continue to add to it. This will become a valuable tool in designing your landscape. formal informal wooded Mediterranean English/Cottage walking garden -no lawn South - Western Tropical lush - green clean - "un fussy" manicured - clipped